Regional Postseason Series
In the first half of the 20th Century, there were 32 "City Series" sanctioned by major league
baseball that followed the format of the World Series. Like the World Series, major league
baseball received a portion of the gate, the winning players received more than the losing
players, and the scheduled games after the series was decided were not played. 75% of these
series were between the Chicago teams. The Chicago series was the only one to be played after
World War I. A few of the series were not between teams sharing the same city. There were
three Ohio series between Cincinnati and Cleveland and lone series between Pittsburgh and
Cleveland and the Red Sox and Giants.
Michael Cantor has worked for over 15 years putting together the most detailed information about
these series and has generously provided his work to Retrosheet. We are pleased to make
available to the baseball community the fruits of his efforts. His article about the history
of these series, which is linked below, includes a listing of ones not played under the auspices
of the major leagues from 1903-16 and references to other sources about these series.
Mike has provided play-by-play accounts of more than 80% of the 190 games played in these series.
We have made Retrosheet game account pages from them, and they are linked to the series summary
pages. We have posted deduced accounts or box scores for the other games. In many cases, his
research resulted in corrections of errors in the accounts he found in newspapers.
Cantor's History Article
Presentation at SABR 40
Fred Ivor-Campbell wrote an article "City Series" for the first edition of Total Baseball,
which was published in 1989. The article was not in any later editions. It covers series as far
back as 1882 and provides a brief synopsis of each one. All of the ones listed below except for
the 1909 Red Sox-Giants and 1913 Indians-Pirates are in the article. Mike Cantor has written
stories about those two series, which are linked to the series summaries. Retrosheet has been
given permission to reproduce Fred's article.
Ivor-Campbell's City Series Article
Additions, Changes, Corrections: Although we took great care to make the information
shown as accurate as we could, for several reasons, most significantly that all of the games
were played more than two-thirds of a century ago, there likely are some mistakes. We will
show any changes here. If you discover anything you think we should know about, please send
an e-mail to the webmaster: webmaster --ATsign-- retrosheet.org
- (1/6/2010): Correction to Cleveland at Pittsburgh, 10/13/1913,
bottom of the third.
- (5/5/2010): Corrections to the bottom of the ninth in
Cubs at White Sox, 10/13/1925 and
White Sox at Cubs, 10/3/1926.
- (6/6/2010): Extensive revisions to 1905 Chicago series based on continuing research.
Box score for game 5 posted.
- (1/10/2011): Box scores for 1917 St. Louis series (no play-by-plays for this seven game series) posted.
- (2/27/2011): Additions for 1911 Ohio series: play-by-play for game 2, boxes for games 3, 5, and 6.
- (4/17/2011): Several revisions in games 2-5 of 1914 New York Series.
- (11/5/2011): Deduced play-by-plays for Chicago in 1921-(game 4), 1924-5, 1925-4, 1928-5.
- (11/23/2011): Deduced play-by-plays for Chicago games 1931-5, 1933-4, 1936-4.
- (12/4/2011): Deduced play-by-plays for games 1, 5, 6, and 7 of the 1939 Chicago series.
- (12/11/2011): Deduced play-by-plays for games 3, 5, and 6 of the 1940 Chicago series.
- (12/18/2011): Deduced play-by-plays for games 2, 3, and 4 of the 1941 Chicago series.
- (12/30/2011): Full play-by-play for 1942-1 and seven plus
innings of 1942-2. Other four games
of the series have deduced game accounts. All games in the 32 series now
have boxes and the vast majority have play-by-plays, some deduced.
- (4/17/2013): Corrections and additional details to Cubs at White Sox, 10/15/1911
- (11/4/2016): Corrections to White Sox at Cubs, 10/8/1913 and Cubs at White Sox, 10/13/1913
Series Played: Click on descriptions for line scores of the games and additional links
Team nicknames are the most recent ones, not necessarily the ones used at the time of the series
- 1905: Cubs 4, White Sox 1
- 1909: Cubs 4, White Sox 1
- 1909: Red Sox 4, Giants 1
- 1910: Giants 4, Yankees 2, 1 tie
- 1910: Reds 4, Indians 3
- 1911: Reds 4, Indians 2
- 1911: White Sox 4, Cubs 0
- 1912: White Sox 4, Cubs 3, 2 ties
- 1913: White Sox 4, Cubs 2
- 1913: Indians 4, Pirates 3
- 1914: White Sox 4, Cubs 3
- 1914: Giants 4, Yankees 1
- 1915: White Sox 4, Cubs 1
- 1916: White Sox 4, Cubs 0
- 1917: Reds 4, Indians 2
- 1917: Cardinals 4, Browns 2, 1 tie
- 1921: White Sox 5, Cubs 0
- 1922: Cubs 4, White Sox 3
- 1923: White Sox 4, Cubs 2
- 1924: White Sox 4, Cubs 2
- 1925: Cubs 4, White Sox 1, 1 tie
- 1926: White Sox 4, Cubs 3
- 1928: Cubs 4, White Sox 3
- 1930: Cubs 4, White Sox 2
- 1931: White Sox 4, Cubs 3
- 1933: White Sox 4, Cubs 0
- 1936: White Sox 4, Cubs 0
- 1937: White Sox 4, Cubs 3
- 1939: White Sox 4, Cubs 3
- 1940: White Sox 4, Cubs 2
- 1941: White Sox 4, Cubs 0
- 1942: White Sox 4, Cubs 2
Page Updated: 11/4/2016
All data contained at this site is copyright © 1996-2016 by Retrosheet. All Rights Reserved.